Sunday, September 20, 2009

Day 2 - Philadelphia -> Tennessee

September 19th -

Saturday got a bit later a start than planned... After making my way out of Philadelphia I headed west as to avoid Baltimore and DC.  With my goal of riding Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park down onto the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway I had my work cut out for me.

Skyline Drive, while a bit slow with a 35mph speed limit, was quite breathtaking.  It was also a good 'intro' to what I should expect on the roads going down through the national parks.  Mountain riding is a completely different experience to anything in the Houston area for sure and I was glad to ease into it on this bike!

When I arrived at Blue Ridge Parkway, I stopped at the first rest stop and ran into a wildlife group that was releasing two birds back into the wild after being healed up; a tiny little guy and a red-tailed hawk.   After riding down BRP for a while I had to make my way to the interstate to ensure I had enough time to ride through my planned routes in Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.


Anyway enough rambling and on to the pictures!
 


Skyline Drive!



They have caution signs here with motorcycles riding off the side of the mountain and the rider 'flying'...




A hawk decided to pace me for a little while



Lots of curves...



This one jumped out of the guys hand, didn't want to wait around for a 'releasing' ceremony...




The female red-tailed hawk, pre-release


Putting up a bit of a fight

Annnd off to freedom (she then went and sat on the nearest branch possible...):


The gorgeous Blue Ridge mountains



No comments:

Post a Comment