Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Days 4 and 5 - North Carolina to Alabama | Alabama to Houston

Days 4 and 5 brought about the end of my trip back to Houston - they were full of rain, as if mother earth was sad I had to return to Texas.  Monday (day 4) morning was the last bit of 'fun' roads I had planned out.  I had spent the previous night in Murphy, NC and rode up to Andrews, NC so I could turn off onto a road recommended to me called Wayah Rd.  The torrential rain prevented me from getting any good views from this road but it was a hell of a ride nonetheless-  mountain switchbacks with hairpin turns in the rain keeps you on your toes...

Once I got the bottom of Wayah I decided to go visit South Carolina (state #21 visited this trip) before heading south for the evening.  Still getting poured on I rode through SC, Georgia (where the highway was flooded out in Atlanta due to the storms) and on down toward Pensacola, FL.  I unfortunately took an exit too soon and ducked down into Florida (state #22!) before I intended to.  I ended out back tracking a bit and ditched the plan of spending the night in Pensacola and went for Mobile, AL.

Tuesday (day 5) was about as boring as it gets: 480mi of straight highway, about half of that time in severe rain storms.  It was literally one straight line west.  After spending a couple days in Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina there really is not a single redeeming thing about riding I-10 for hours on end.

This was on Wayah Rd. just before the skies opened up on me


The old-school gas pump at the end of Wayah Rd, and yes that was $9 to tank up..


State visited #21

Florida!


My incredibly awesome one-piece rain suit that saw quite a bit of use


And I finally arrive home...

No comments:

Post a Comment